Easy Homemade Sloppy Joe’s
Easy Homemade Sloppy Joe’sThese delicious homemade Sloppy Joes are super quick and easy to make. As an added bonus, they taste even better the next day thanks to the tomato-based sauce.
For easier clean up, all ingredients are combined right in the skillet rather than using an extra bowl. However, the tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, and chili-garlic sauce can also be whisked together in a large bowl to ensure they are thoroughly blended before adding to the skillet.
Note: Yellow mustard is the traditional choice for Sloppy Joes and can be used here in lieu of the Dijon mustard.
These kid-friendly Sloppy Joe’s are so quick and easy to get on the table. Plus, they offer tons of flavor without a lot of fuss. Perfect for a delicious and filling weeknight meal any time of year – be sure to pull them out again in August for National Sandwich Month and to help your readers plan those busy back-to-school menus.
Preparation for Easy Homemade Sloppy Joe’s
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
½ medium white onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1½ lbs. ground beef (80% lean/20% fat (or greater)
1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
1 T. tomato paste
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1-2 T. brown sugar (adjust amount depending on personal preference)
½ T. Dijon mustard
1 T. chili-garlic sauce*
4-6 Hamburger buns
2-3 T. unsalted butter melted
Serving Suggestions: Pickles, potato chips, French fries, and/or sweet potato fries
1. Heat olive oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add onion, minced garlic, and green pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until the vegetables soften and start to develop some color.
|AD by Downloadable Products|
|More Details||More Details||More Details||More Details||More Details|
2. Add the ground beef and break into small pieces with a spatula. Cook until the meat is thoroughly browned, approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully drain any excess fat from the skillet.
Tip: To prevent flare ups, make sure no grease drips down the side of the skillet if cooking with gas heat.
3. Return to heat and add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, and chili garlic sauce. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir thoroughly to combine. Simmer, uncovered, until heated through, approximately 5-10 minutes.
|AD by Inspirational Media|
Wood Box Sign
4. While the meat simmers, place the top oven rack in the second from highest position and pre-heat the oven broiler to high. Open the hamburger buns and arrange on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Brush each surface with the melted butter and place the baking sheet under the broiler for several minutes, rotating once halfway through, or until the buns are golden brown.
5. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and spoon some of the warm meat sauce onto the bottom portion of each bun. Cover and serve immediately with your choice of sides. Enjoy!
The photos below will help you visually in preparing this delicious recipe.
This delicious and favourite Easy Homemade Sloppy Joe’s recipe is featured in the following food themes as follows:
Daily Food Themes: