Frozen Pina Colada
Frozen Pina Colada
Many pina colada recipes call for cream of coconut, which is a sweetened version of coconut cream. This refined sugar-free version uses the rich coconut cream found on the top of a can of unsweetened coconut milk. A simple syrup made with powdered monkfruit provides the perfect touch of sweetness to balance out the other flavors.
Note: Simple syrup is normally prepared using a 1:1 ratio of refined white sugar to water. In general, monkfruit sweetener is considered a 1:1 replacement for sugar, but in this case, a 1:2 ratio (one-part sweetener to two-parts water) works well because the pineapple is inherently sweet.
You can use fresh, frozen, or canned pineapple for this recipe. For best results, use fresh pineapple that has been cut into chunks and frozen prior to blending.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Yields: 2 drinks
2 c. frozen pineapple chunks (see note above)
8 oz. pineapple juice
1/3 c. coconut cream
4 oz. light rum
6-8 ice cubes
Garnish: Fresh pineapple slices
Sugar-Free Simple Syrup:
¼ c. powdered monkfruit sweetener
½ c. water
1. Prepare the simple syrup by combining the powdered monkfruit sweetener and water in a small skillet. Stir to combine and heat until the sweetener dissolves completely, approximately 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
|AD by Inspirational Media|
Wood Box Sign
2. Place the frozen pineapple, pineapple juice, coconut cream, rum, and one-quarter cup simple syrup into a blender and blend until smooth.
3. While the blender is still running, add the ice a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
|More Details||More Details||More Details||More Details||More Details|
4. Turn blender off and remove lid. Taste and add additional simple syrup, if desired, and blend for another 30 seconds to combine.
5. To serve, pour into glasses and serve immediately garnished with fresh pineapple slices. Enjoy!
Omit the rum and replace with 1 oz. coconut cream and 3 oz. pineapple juice before blending.
Click on Cocktails and Mocktails and Appetizer Recipe Package for more great kitchen-tested recipes!